Skin ageing affects the supporting structures of the skin along with the epidermal tissue. Collagen development slows down, and the ability to bind water decreases, the skin becomes thinner and more sensitive. Microcirculation, oxygen supply, fat content and hydration are compromised.
The skin gets more and more enlarged pores, and due to the reduced activity of the sebaceous glands, it becomes extremely dry. Connective tissues weaken, which results in the appearance of lines and wrinkles. During menopause, due to the lack of oestrogen, the skin loses its thickness, is less supplied with blood, and therefore looks tired and pale .
BioReTherapy is a revitalising, antioxidant and moisturising treatment for the face and body, which includes preparation, treatment and post-treatment care. It is an innovative biostimulating and peeling  product indicated for the face, neck, décolleté and intimate areas with 35% trichloroacetic acid (TCA) as the main ingredient, while for the rest of the body there is a 50% TCA product [3,4]. Other ingredients are lactobionic acid, salicylic acid, tartaric acid and citric acid, glycine, proline, hydroxyproline and arginine, vitamins C and B2, gamma-aminobutyric acid and squalane, isopropyl myristate. The biphasic formulation brings room temperature stability, without TCA oxidation, darkening or degradation of the product and a functionalised lipophilic phase.
Lipophilic action: It has stabilising and protective actions, reduces trans-epidermic water evaporation and assists active principles’ vehiculation. It also restores and maintains the cutaneous hydro-lipidic film.
Hydrophilic action: The biostimulating and revitalising actions ensure fibroblasts’ activity, stimulates cutaneous proliferation and biosynthetic processes, as well as increases cellular turnover and collagen and elastin production.
A 63-year-old lady with atrophic thin skin, showing loss of elasticity and hydration, was treated with BioReTherapy combined with microneedling [5-6].
The epidermal tissue was prepared with the 4EVER kit consisting of a lipogel for microdermal abrasion cleansing, a carbon salicylic peel-off mask and an antioxidant and neutralising activator. After the pre-treatment, microneedling was performed for 10 minutes to allow better penetration of the active ingredients when using BioRePeelCI3®. The needle length was 0.25mm. Then, 2ml of BioRePeelCI3® was applied with nitrile gloves until it was completely absorbed. Due to the deep wrinkles, we left the product on the skin for 10 minutes. Next, the area was cleaned with a gauze soaked with water and BioReHydra serum was applied. The skin was massaged with a device that has an option to cool to -9 degrees. Finally, BioReLift cream was applied to give shine to the skin.
The patient continued care at home by using BioReHydra and BioReLift in the morning and the evening and SPF 50+ cream for the duration of the protocol. The treatment was repeated for other two sessions.
With the combined treatment of BioReTherapy with microneedling the patient gained better hydration, a refresh of the skin and lifting effect. The treatment was painless, and fast, achieving immediate results with no downtime.
1. Ryan F, La Fourcade C. Skin care, chemical face peeling, and skin rejuvenation. Plast Surg Nurs 1995;15(3):167-71.
2. Truchuelo M, Cerdá P, Fernández LF. Chemical peeling: a useful tool in the office. Actas Dermosifiliogr 2017;108(4):315-22.
3. Sitohang IB, Legiawati L, Suseno LS, Safira FD. Trichloroacetic acid peeling for treating photoaging: a systematic review. Dermatol Res Pract 2021;2021:3085670.
4. Atiyeh B, Oneisi A, Ghieh F. Medium-depth trichloroacetic acid and deep phenol-croton oil chemical peeling for facial rejuvenation: an update. J Craniofac Surg 2021;32(8):e745-50.
5. Spataro EA, Dierks K, Carniol PJ. Microneedling-associated procedures to enhance facial rejuvenation. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2022;30(3):389-97.
6. Lee JC, Daniels MA, Roth MZ. Mesotherapy, microneedling, and chemical peels. Clin Plast Surg 2016;43(3):583-95.
Declaration of competing interests: The author is official clinical trainer of CMed Aesthetics products.
COMMENTS ARE WELCOME